Friday, March 9, 2012

Dreaded Grading

Today was grading day for the first 6 week period of the semester.  Although I was around for the semester grading period, this time around I was responsible for many more assignments and also got to see the process that my mentor teacher goes through.  It was a tough, lengthy process and what I learned from the whole experience is to stay on top of things and not leave grading assignments to the day that grades are due.  I am really one for staying on top of things like that, however my mentor teacher procrastinates and leaves a lot of grading until the very end.  It also opened my eyes to how many assignments the students still haven't turned in and made me realize that I need to have a serious conversation with them about staying on top of turning in assignments and the consequences that come with neglecting that responsibility.  On Monday, I am going to have a talk with my students about just that.  I believe it is really our responsibility as teachers at the middle school level to really start handing over personal responsibility to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment